Monday, July 13, 2009

Strange Things

Do you ever see something going on around you, or on TV, or in the world at large that makes you stop and say, "I just don't get it"? Lately, I swear I'm doing it more and more. I've always been a bit of an odd duck and generally out-of-step with my peers, so it could very well just be my duck bill trying to poke its head out again. Now I could go avail myself of intensive - and expensive - therapy sessions to figure out if I've developed new neuroses...but why would I do that when I have all of you kind enough to analyze me for free?

I love it when I'm practical.

Anywhoo, here's my "I just don't get it" list. If you do get it, please help me out and explain what I'm missing. If you're with me in "just don't get it" land, let me know so I don't feel quite so much like I should just quit threatening to become a hermit and actually do it.
  • Tattoos - especially when a young, pre-baby woman gets one on her stomach. Ladies, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but when you get pregnant, this will not be very attractive. And after you've given birth, it's going to get really flabby. What started out near your bubbies is going to end up just north of your knees. So don't. Just...don't.

  • "The Hills" - do we really want to encourage Speidi any further in their pursuit of stardom? I think not.

  • Drinking alcohol specifically to get drunk - I've been puzzled about this one since high school (OK, college - because I was a nerd who never went/was invited to high school parties). Let me understand - you drink until you A) act like a giggling idiot; B) throw up on something; or C) pass out, usually in an undesirable location. Tell me again what part is fun?

  • Why brussels sprouts are so good for you but taste so incredibly bad.

  • Chewing gum. When I was little, my grandmother told me that little girls who chewed gum looked like cows chewing cud. She apparently scarred me for life. To this day, the thought of putting gum in my mouth makes me gag. And when Princess E wants to chew gum (on the rare occasions when someone else gives her a piece, 'cause y'all know I'm not buying it), I try to stay in another room while she chews so I don't have to hear her chewing it.

Yeah, that last one's probably just me, huh? Quack.

Oops...excuse me.

5 comments:

Michelle Cox said...

Gum doesn't bother me unless someone is a gum popper. But I'm with you on the other stuff.

Unknown said...

One of my favorite family videos is my oldest daughter at age three, chewing gum during youngest daughter's baptism as we all stand in the front of church. Bad momma!

The drinking thing - let's just say sometimes those pretty little umbrella drinks sneak up on you and that's all I'm going to say about that!

nancy allen said...

actually...I already knew all of this about you and get it...the problem I have is you posted this at 10:30 at night when you should have been working on chapter #3....lol

Mistie said...

I knew I was alone in the gum thing. Sigh...add that to the list of things my children will need therapy over. :-P

And Nancy, I know. Believe me, I know. But if I hadn't been up every night for the past two weeks until at least midnight working on either stuff for my new biz venture (my kids gotta eat after July 31st!) or current work stuff, I'd be working on the book. If it makes you feel any better, the next couple of chapters are in my head - and they're a hoot! :-)(Please tell me you're still talking to me even though I suck at timely book-writing.)

Maria said...

I chew gum like a cow and have been forbidden to chew it in public for that reason. At home, my husband kindly reminds me of this annoying habit by saying, "Is that gum good? Sure sounds like it."